
My sister sent me and Clarke some Abercrombie and Fitch t-shirts she found going for a song. This is a US clothing label that were sued in the States for a hiring policy which discriminated against visible minorities. Relegating them to the stock room, and overnight jobs, and last year had to withdraw a t-shirt which depicted "two slant-eyed men in conical hats and the slogan "Wong Brothers Laundry Service — Two Wongs Can Make it White." Fo' real. Apart from that, they and plenty other clothing companies should be sued for having a discriminatory sizing policy, and making women, particularly women of colour feel excluded. Why? The t-shirt I have is an x-large! Now I don't mind wearing a pair of trousers or a dress a size bigger than my usual 14/16 if it is a better fit. But this t-shirt is tight, and quite frankly does not fit. There is NO WAY it is an XL. This is ridiculous. It's more like a size 10, or an XS. I have a size 10 tee-shirt, which I bought for exercise, and it fits better than this one. What is this about? It's the same story when I go into The Gap. Their jean sizes are ridiculous. If you're a typical black woman, or even a typical white woman in these days of increasing curves, and you have an ass, and some thighs, you will struggle to fit into most of their jeans. Forget ultra-low rise, unless they have lycra, and you will need a size larger, even then you'll have the 'muffin-top' belly roll of flab hanging over the ultra-low waistband. And girlfriends, it's NOT a good look. Let me agree with Liz Hurley there, and beg my sisters to wear their size, or wear something else, because this over-exposure of flab just makes you look crackish.
Levi's upset me greatly when I went to investigate their new Patty-Anne drainpipes. "Oh, I'm sorry, they only go up to a size 14". A size 14??? This is fashion fascism at it's worse. What is wrong with being a size 16??? Is it the end of life as we know it? Should I slit my wrists, or force myself to lose weight to conform to what they believe is the beauty ideal. I'll admit that on the high street that things are better than they were 10 years ago, I could not have stayed fashion fabulous without TopShop, but like my school report used to say, all y'all clothing companies must try harder.
1 comment:
tell me about fashion fascim! I'm a size 13 shoes. don't even bother going shop no more.
Post a Comment