Saturday, August 27, 2005

A Change of Mind


One of my favourite records is Eddie Kendricks, 'Change of Mind'. Charlie Dark always drops it for me at Blacktronica (well I like to think he does). It kinda sums up for me how far I've come since I started my quest for fitness. Two months ago I had a million reasons why I couldn't go to the gym, and an unhealthy relationship with my sofa. Somehow, through the nagging and cajoling of friends, and then the resurrection of the fitness goddess within, exercising has become a natural part of my day again.
After my exam in Media Law on Friday, I decided I would run back from university in Islington, to Vauxhall. For me to even have that thought is 1) Amazing, ridiculous, and crazy! And then to actually do it is 2) Amazing, ridiculous and crazier!
I packed my running gear in my rucksack, and changed into it after the exam, which incidentally I think I nailed. I walked to warm up, past Sadlers Wells for about five minutes, and then started running just before Exmouth Market. It's really amazing how much people stare when they see someone running. 'Sky News' (names have been changed to protect the innocent) reckons it's because it's not a common sight to see a black woman with blonde dreads jogging. Well that's his theory. So I run towards Farringdon, and then hit Blackfriars bridge. I'm listening to Public Enemy's greatest hits, which triggers long forgotten memories of my teenage years as a hip-hop junkie. But that's another story.
I turn right along Victoria Embankment which is not so crowded, and the pavement is wide. I'm actually really enjoying it. I'm not sure if I can make it all the way home, but I just try to keep running.
I pass the Golden Jubilee, and Waterloo Bridge. I get to Westminster Bridge, and go up the stairs onto the crowded street. A female jogger ahead of me creates a path, and I fall in behind her as she carves through pedestrians, zips across the road in-between cars, and rounds the Palace of Westminster. She's faster than me, but acts as a pacemaker as I try to be a contender to her Paula Radcliffe like strides. Once we get past Parliament, I leave the main road and run through the park beside the Big House, it's a nice little detour, again by the river which takes me to Lambeth Bridge.
I walk for a little bit to catch my breath, and talk myself into finishing after crossing Vauxhall Bridge. Just one more bridge, and then I'm home. I choose some music to take me to that point, I go for Amerie's Not The Only One, an electronic headbanger which sparks up the internal engines to drive me towards and over the bridge. As I cross the bridge the knowledge that I'm nearly home makes me speed up, I'm practically sprinting. I feel like leaping in the air like Rocky, I can't believe I've made it. It's the most amazing feeling. I've hit the runner's high. I feel such a sense of achievement, and in that moment, I realise that I can do anything that I want. What the mind can concieve, it can achieve. This girl has had a change of mind.
p.s - Apologies to all those I will proceed to bore with the retelling of this epic tale!

No comments: