
Post Atlanta, life resumes it's usual melange of pain and pleasure. The pain of computer problems, and having to deal with the so-called customer service of the Apple store in Regent Street. I find a little armshouse goes a long way when you're dealing with a system which requires you to queue for half an hour only to be told to come back five hours later. I guess in their haste to get me out of the store, they decide it would be better to see me straightaway instead of having to deal with the 'street' version of Butterfly Jones.
Pleasure is being back home with my daughter, and realising that in just seven days she has had an epiphany, discovered the joys of girlie clothes, which results in a small spree in TK Maxx picking up fitted tops and Rocawear straight jeans. Prior to this tracksuit bottoms and baggy Gap jeans being the only items she would consider. She has new earrings courtesy of Aunty, and the hair has been hooked up in Omarion style criss-cross cornrows by her teenage cousin. She looks fly, and I wipe a tear from my eye as I realise it won't be long until I'm having to get her Dad to scare off hoodrats wanting her to ride pillion on their 'peds.
I pick up the running again, after being inspired by a new friend who's training for the New York marathon in November. I run my favourite route up to the London Eye, over the Golden Jubilee Bridge and back. A distance of four miles. Watch me! I'm on a high, as I didn't think I'd make it there, let alone back.
My new goal is to hit 10k, and take part in some races, and then next year complete the London Triathlon. If I can just get over the fact that the swimming cap I'll need for building up to the race distance will make me look like one of the aliens from the film Alien Nation, and the fact that I'll have to run and cycle through London in a swimsuit, nothing's impossible right?
No comments:
Post a Comment