
A thirty-three year old woman was shot dead while holding a baby at a family christening by youths who robbed the party's guests at gunpoint.
Zainab Kalokoh, a health worker from Sierra Leone, West Africa, was holding her uncle's six month old baby when the bad-breed youths rushed the party firing shots, and robbing guests of handbags and mobile phones at a community centre in Peckham. Two teenage boys, aged 14 and 16 have been charged with the murder.
Locals say the estate where the community centre is situated has been plagued by shootings, stabbings and rapes. Operation Trident are in there now, but what was being done beforehand? Locals are overrun with prostitutes and crackheads. Which means that crime is not far behind.
There's no need for me to express outrage, could you be anything but? We have a terrible problem here, what is going to be done about it? Children are out there killing people randomly, for what? Cash for drugs, trainers, weed, what is it?
Like most right-thinking people, I dislike the use of the phrase with reference to gun crime in the 'black community'. But the reality is, is that they are a part of my community, the bit that's gone horribly wrong.
As much as I'm a journalist working at places such as The Guardian, Times and Observer, come the weekends, I'm more likely to be found with my people, at an all night party, or club in south London. rather than West End clubs and bars. As a black person, because of the whole gun crime issue, I have to think, will I be safe if I go to a rave in east London? Is it going to kick off at that hip-hop concert in Brixton? If the party is crowded will mans start getting digi and start armshouse in the place?
So far, I've been lucky in that I've not been somewhere and people are waving guns. But a couple of years back on New Years Eve, my friends went to a rave, and someone started shooting up the place causing a stampede, and ending the night for everyone. No one was hurt thankfully. Then there was the Ja Rule afterparty. Some rude boys tried to rob him, and it all kicked off. Champagne bottles being thrown, the mirrored bar smashed up. I was waiting to hear gunshots as I crouched under a table. No gunshots this time. But that night scared me. I'm a mother I thought, imagine if I lost my life just because I went out one night? And is this what my daughter is going to have to deal with?
On Sunday at the party I wondered if something might kick off. People were tense, drinks were being sloshed on clothing, the bar and toilet queues were long and everyone was jostling for space. I got into an argument with a girl because she was leaning on me, and when I tried to tell her about it she started shouting at me. Sometimes, that all it takes for shit to go down. But for Ms Kalokoh, she never had those thoughts. She was at what is usually a really happy family occasion, a christening. The baby she was holding was covered in her blood. Ms Kalokoh and her family are the innocent victims of heartless, lost, youths whose idea of being the big man on road is to go rob and shoot up a christening. Now that's disrespect.
1 comment:
dread ain't it. used to visit people down that estate and prang/parrow is an understatement. youths and grown men standing in corridors, all hours of the day, trying to sell you just about anything (color tv? xstacy? oregano?). I'm a man and I feel a way going there so what of the young kids and women folk? Like in the lady's case (r.i.p) folks have come over from different places across the diaspora and don't know the runnings. but should they have to? Trident is a laudable effort but inherently flawed. only "we" can solve our problems. another story, another blog. cynically another lifetime.
21st century Britain and solutions are still reactive.
Post a Comment