Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Step Away from the Coco Pops


Revising for exams always seems to be accompanied by an intense desire to clean out the cupboards. With my mouth. Clarke had a friend sleepover, and I felt it wasn't fair for her to be confronted by the sugar-free lifestyle we tend to lead (between these four walls anyhow), so I caved and bought some biccies, Coco Pops, and ice-cream. Which of course being 'chief-taster' (as christened by Father of Clarke), meant I had to have some.
In between trying to imprint the various reasons journalists can be held in contempt of court on my sieve-like brain, I made umpteen trips to the cupboard for biscuits. I had grilled fish, rice and spinach for dinner. After dinner I had a bowl of ice-cream. The kids managed to wrestle the biscuits away from me. After a few more hours revision I was beat, and ready for bed. I picked up my copy of Ekow Eshun's book Black Gold of the Sun, and contemplated a bowl of pre-slumber Coco Pops. The revision was making me crazy, but did I want to start slipping down the abyss of comfort eating only to emerge in two weeks time as Coco Pop dependant? I backed out of the kitchen, turned off the light, and walked up the stairs to my bed. A small, and (not so) sweet victory.

No comments: