Thursday, July 28, 2005

Meat Is Murder?


Like most black folk, I love me some chicken. Fried, stewed, and best of all roasted. But lately there have been so many reports about how chickens are reared and treated badly, that quite frankly, it's putting me off the feathered delicacy. I hate the thought that I am eating something that suffered during it's short lifetime.
I have bought free range, and corn-fed but even those have come under fire, and as for organic, £7 for a chicken? That bird would have to last all week!
I flirted with vegetarianism some years ago, but cracked when I moved into a hostel and my roomie cooked rice and peas and chicken one Sunday. But now, I'm thinking it might be time to go back there. A diet low in animal protein is said to offer better protection from cancers and heart disease, not to mention effortless weight loss.
Fish is said to be similarly diseased and polluted. Food is now a class issue. If you have the money, and the time to shop at Farmer's Markets, you can buy the healthy stuff which won't slowly poison your family. If you don't, it's a chicken that's lived a traumatic, miserable life, served up with a side of antibiotics. Anyone for nut roast?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have heard from a few veggies that some of the nut roasts are very good. I have not tried any yet. I am Vegan. I was vegetarian for twelve years and made the switch to Vegan last August. I have always eaten healthy, had a lot of energy so I was suprised when I saw improvements after making the switch to Vegan. :-)
Yes the life of a farm animal is fairly cruel, short-lived and sad. The males are killed soon after they are hatched from their eggs. They are usually tossed into bags where they die by suffocation.

Butterfly Jones said...

I was reading the books on your blog. Interesting stuff. I'm gonna take it slow, and try ease myself into it. Not a big dairy fan anyway, and I love fruit and veg. But it's difficult with an 11 year-old to just stop eating meat. How have you dealt with that?

Anonymous said...

My daughter is two year old. When I made the switch to veganism she was a little over one year old. I call her my 'accidental Vegan before that time, lol. The foods she ate were Vegan. When we eat with her grandparents at times she wants what they have. I just make sure I have theveggie meats with me. It looks similar and she is happy. She is at the stage where she wants what everyone else has, food, your clothes, shoes, etc.,

I agree taking it slow is very important. Occasionaly people will go back t their eating habits if they make a huge change in their eating habits. It can be overwhelming.

Raising Vegetarian children is a great book http://www.nutrispeak.com/id10.htm

I just noticed I signed the above with my other blog. have Vegan blog and of course my hair blog, Nappy Haired Diva.