Wednesday, July 27, 2005

They Want Muscles


There's a certain breed of man that shouldn't be allowed in a public gym. It's the type that treats it as if it were his own personal space, screaming and grunting like a warthog as he pushes a stack of weights that threaten to make his biceps explode. Another reason to hate the Fitness First in Brixton. I was at the other end of the gym, listening to my ipod on full blast, yet this man and his compadres grunts could be heard over the music. Just to increase the annoyance factor, they also felt it necessary to drop the weights after each set.
Now, I ain't gonna lie, a man with some well-placed muscular definition can be attractive. But I wouldn't want them to go to all that trouble on my behalf. I don't actually mind a skinny man. My last boyfriend had no muscle tone whatsoever, but he had a great personality, and he could lift me up, which is always a plus in my book. Such selfish behaviour is rude in a public space, and I demand that they be stopped immediately. The manager was lurking at one point, but you could tell that he was too afraid to approach the gang of brothers that had commandeered the weights corner. It did cross my mind to approach them myself, but I decided that an evil look would do instead. I think I'll go to Victoria tomorrow.

Postcript to this post: Went back to FF Brixton, and saw a couple of the grunting men in FF uniform. Some of them are actually staff!

No comments: