
One of the side effects of drinking alcohol to excess, is memory loss. Almost 24 hours after a boozy night celebrating a friend's 30th birthday, I remembered that I had my first taste of Cristal champagne. As sod's law will have it, by the time I tasted it I was already half-cut so it may as well have been Sainsbury's own-brand. I can't remember if it was good or bad. Plus, 'quelle horreur' it was warm.
One of our group got really trollied, was sick in the hired limo, and didn't make it into the second club we were raving at that night. She also fell over onto her back, legs in the air (wearing a short skirt) as we left the first club. It was so funny....completely undignified, but funny. Wonder what she felt like today. I didn't feel sick or anything today, just tired. I got in at 6.30am and was up at 12. Went to get a bottle of water and the papers, cooked breakfast and sunbathed in the garden.
As well as a love for food, I also like a drink. My favourite alcoholic drinks are Champagne, Bellinis, Jack Daniels and Coke, and Rose wine. This year I rediscovered beer, but I think that's one drink I needn't have rediscovered as I've also rediscovered the beer 'paunch' - but for a student, it's cheap and lasts longer than a short.
However, in the interests of a healthier lifestyle, I'm going to quit the firewater for 3 months (it should be six but I can't say that out loud). Today I read in The Observer Food Monthly, according to Dr John Briffa, the best available evidence suggests that for the majority of us the optimum amount of alcohol is none. NONE! Now I'm no lush, I rarely drink at home during the week, and I mainly drink on weekends, but I find it hard to believe that all the research available points to the striking fact that its best not to drink, at all. Now I do know a few people who don't drink, and some of them aren't even boring! But I must admit that I find it unusual. Having a few drinks and a dance is so nice, or just whiling away a few hours in a pub or bar conversing with friends or workmates is good fun. As a journalist it most definitely comes with the territory. But that doesn't mean you have to drink alcohol, but it helps.
The one aspect of drinking I don't like is the hangover, and one thing I have been worried about was that after getting some bad hangovers, I was regularly having to take paracetamol to function. I started to get worried about the effect on my liver. And I have begun to wonder, what effect is alcohol having on my liver, how healthy is it? I am completely unhealthy.
I just like to enjoy myself, and up until now, drinking, smoking, and eating delicious fat-laden food has been a part of that enjoyment. But now, I'm going to stop all of these things. The smoking is the worst, and the hardest nut to crack. Serial failure on that one. A life with no booze, fags or KFC! That is fucking scary to me.
But in the interests of living a healthier life, I think it will help to stop the weekend binges for a few months.
This will be a complete change of lifestyle for me. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Maybe I'm setting myself up for failure? I like to drink, go out, and have a good time. What single girl doesn't? If I stay in for six months, how will I meet a man? Am I meeting anyone now? Well, yes I will probably go to work, and do other things, so it's not like I'll never leave the house.
Next Saturday is my last big night out before I start my drinking ban - it's a friend's 24th birthday and it's bound to be a total drunkards night out. It would be rude not to.
No comments:
Post a Comment