Wednesday, July 20, 2005

The Mean Streets of London


Having cycled in London since my teen years, when I used to ride to the recording studio (helmetless), I have no qualms about cycling in Central London. But there is no doubt it is not without its risks. On a quiet residential road, a van just couldn't wait while I rounded a speed bump and almost knocked me off my bike, and then had the cheek to give me the finger when I protested. And I got stuck in traffic near Waterloo Bridge, and my flip-flop flipped off in the middle of the road. But the quickness of getting around compensates for the hazards you have to negotiate. For example, today I had to collect my camera from a friend at the FT in Southwark Bridge, despite a few difficulties locating it, it took me just 30mins from Vauxhall. Then I went to a gym just up the road for a workout.
After that back to Vauxhall, negotiating quite heavy traffic around Waterloo, a pitstop for lunch at home, and then back on Candice (the bike) to Clapham for Clarke's Leavers Assembly (she's going to secondary school in September).
PT (public transport to you) is all well and good, but if I had to make those journeys on foot, it would have taken up half the day at least, not to mention almost a fiver for a travelcard.
As much as I'm enjoying my newfound bike freedom, I am nervous about continuing through the winter. Forgive my superficiality but as ever my first thoughts are, what will I wear. Obviously floaty TopShop blouses and denim minis ain't gonna cut it in minus 5, and I will have to find suitable waterproofs for our usual climate. If anyone has any tips on how to maintain a stylish demeanour during winter on the road - please do share.

No comments: