
If someone had told me last month that I would be rolling out of my bed to go for a run on a Saturday morning, instead of reaching for a bottle of water to dilute the previous nights alcoholic excesses, I would have laughed as hysterically as I did last night when Maxwell was evicted from the Big Brother house!
But today that's what I did, got up, put on the lycra (its light, its easy, it washes well) got the kid to get her bike, and I did it. I did five laps round the park next to my house. At the moment the pace I'm running at is SL-OW, I try to speed it up at certain points as I lap the park, and continuously talk to myself to keep going. I decided to do five laps, and at lap two that fifth one feels miles away. My body is stiff and feels heavy, all I can do is a jog that keeps me a movement away from a walk, but I keep going.
There's a man running round the park, he was slightly ahead of me when I started. I begin to become concerned that he will lap me, and that speeds me up. The other thing that saves me from quitting before lap 5 is the Blacktronica mix CD I'm listening to on the old pod. There's a 'broken beat' tune on it that is so uplifting, anthemic and euphoric and it comes in neatly on lap four as I need the extra push to get round the park one last time.
The drums on this tune are so brazilian, you just want to stop what your doing and start samba dancing! I speed up for the last lap, and feel suitably sweaty and puffed out when I finish. I check the time I spent running, 21 minutes. Is that all?!? As I walk home though I realise I'm now one of those people I used to look at enviously as they ran past my window. Cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment