Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Happy Birth Day!


To me. This age thing is one thing that's got me trippin'. It's like those old movies where you see the years flying by on a paper calendar. The sheets flying off quicker and quicker. As much as I hate to see the numbers going up and up (37 and counting), I like to revel in what I can do, still. I snowboard, and I only started in my thirties, and it is (apart from rapping) the coolest thing I have ever learnt to do. Period. I run the bridges, cycle in London (many people won't consider it) and can still dance till dawn (just not every week). I've increased my learning, attained a postgraduate degree, studied journalism, written for national newspapers, and I reckon at 37, I'm sharper mentally than I've ever been.

I'm also calmer, more introverted, at ease with my own company. I've taken a few hits on this journey called life, but I always get back up. One thing the trip to France taught me is that for some people, getting up is not that easy. Changing patterns, and how you react to setbacks is something that is so necessary to progressing in life that not to learn is to create greater hardship for yourself. I don't want to be alone for ever, but I'm content to be alone for now. I love children, but am happy to have just the one. I love being a mother, a parent. I enjoy cooking for my daughter, baking cakes, doing nice things for her, and just generally ensuring her mental and physical well-being. I'm happy that I realised a long time ago that nothing was more important than her, and have arranged my life accordingly.

So today, I acknowledge my 37th birthday with thanks to the Lord for allowing me to see another year. This year, I plan to do nothing much, I have a piece to finish for Pride, and Suzie Wong's popping over for tea and cake (if I can be arsed to go buy one). It's what I want to do, and believe me I'll be happy doing it.

P.S. Happy Birthday to Sarah Jessica Parker

5 comments:

Nneka's World said...

Happy Birthday Butterfly!!
May your day be filled with happiness and blessings

Chubby Chocolate said...

Happy Birthday fellow Aries!

Anonymous said...

Well Happy b-day to you. I just hit the big 40 a few months ago. Wait till you get to that age. I can still spit the lyrics to all of lil jon's songs but i'm old enough to remember when elvis died.

Butterfly Jones said...

Thanks Nneka, CC and Anon.

'Elvis was a hero to most...'

Gallis said...

Hope is was a nice one Butterfly. I'm an Aries too! I turned 35 end of March and you helped me put some perspective on things.