Thursday, November 24, 2005

Barefaced Is Not Chic


Have you ever hid your face when the lights went on in a club? Because your make-up was no longer runway fresh, and your hair wasn't still in the style you arrived in because of the heat inside the club? I remember this ritual from my younger clubbing days, the girls would rush outside as soon as the lights came up. Men would be left standing alone on the dancefloor as the woman they were holding onto made a sudden urgent dash for the bathroom. It works both ways though, as some of the men, let's just say, we're no oil painting under the harsh glare of a 100 watt bulb.

I've had the 'make-up' debate with so many of my boyfriends, and male friends. They say: "You don't need to wear it" I say: "I know. But I like to". Never mind that the women they fantasise about wear enough slap to keep Mac going for years, when it comes to their women, less is nothing. But let me explain for those that don't understand.

To me, make-up is like clean panties, a bra, or a freshly waxed top-lip. Es-sen-tial to the final look. Not in a ridiculous way, like the woman who used to attend my step aerobics class wearing a tube of pillar box red Constance Carroll (see cheap) lipstick lacquered onto her marshmallow fat lips. Unless I've just come back from a country where the temperature was in the 90s every day for a week, and my face is burnt creme caramel with a J-Lo 'Glow', I'm wearing make-up when I go out. Even with a tan, I would still wear mascara, and sheer lipgloss. I usually wear make-up when I go out, or in a business setting like a job interview, but on a daily basis, less so.

Why do I wear it? Because make up = polish. As a woman, you're raised to take grooming very seriously, and to me make-up is a part of that. It is a cosmetic enhancement which does not involve cutting yourself, or paying through the nose for a new nose. A little mascara to open up the eyes, some lipgloss, and blusher, TA DAAA. A fresh-faced look is yours.

I know I look different with make-up. I look BETTER. But I wouldn't say that without it I look hideous, or that I'm falsely representing myself. Women of all cultures, ancient and present have worn something which is recognised as make-up. It is not a European thing that black women have adopted, but it is something which has been a part of African culture for centuries.

When I'm going out, make-up adds a sheen and a polish which completes the look. It's not worn to cover up, conceal (ok - sometimes the dark circles) or to fool anyone (see man). Make-up is fun, and it's a big part of fashion. New looks come in and out, and if you're fashion conscious you want to try them out. I particularly like smoky eyes, and black eyeliner, which I believe is the look men like least because the make-up is so obvious. But, hey, they're entitled to their opinion. If a man decides he doesn't want to approach me because I'm wearing black kohl, it's not a problem for me. I would hope that someone wouldn't just like me because of how I look, but also, amazingly, because of what's going on inside my head.

Obviously there are women who are guilty of crimes against make-up, tarring those of us who indulge with the same lipbrush. Those that just wear the pillar box red lipstick. And line the lips with a black pencil. I would love to know who started this non-trend. Sadly it can still be spotted in parts of south London. And the women who wear the Tango orange Fashion Fair foundation. An inch thick. It get's on men's shirts and NEVER comes out. Not a good look if that man ain't yours. And finally, there are the women that draw in the eyebrows they no longer have. Jamaican and Nigerian women particularly partial to this one. Overplucking is an illness, get help.

But I reckon, the majority of us, use just enough to add that sheen which gives you a sleek, polished look, and a bounce in your step when you're heading out the door. The litmus test for me is, if the shoes I'm wearing are 3 inches or over, the lippy comes out.

9 comments:

Chubby Chocolate said...

I love this post. Get this one published!!!!

I kid you not, Butterfly-You, my mother and I are the only ones who believe in that Jamaican, Nigerian women curse about drawing in their eyebrows...Those are the ones with the Fashion Fair (needs to be eliminated) spackle and the bright RED lipstick on EVERY inch of their lips. My ex-fiance was Nigerian. When we'd go to Nigerian functions, You can imagine the women's make-up....GHASTLY!

I'm guilty of not wearing make-up to work. I wear it every other time though...Except when I'm just doing errands or going to my parents house.

LOVED THIS POST.

Butterfly Jones said...

Thanks CC - you see those women giving make-up a bad name. I don't wear make-up to work every day - usually cos I go gym at lunchtime, but that's work. Going out - different story. Fresh panties, and fresh make-up. Essential.

galatea said...

i'm a bit worried i might be a man. i like make-up, sure, but i really can't get the hang of it... any eyeshadow application seems to turn me into a scary facsimile of barbara cartland.

and as for heels, well.. thank god i'm 5 foot 8, because at least that gives me an excuse. can't abide 'em.

know what you mean about kohl though. bollocks to men, it's great.

Serenity3-0 said...

I found your page through your discussion with MisPowder Pink. I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments over there. But regarding your post, I feel the same way that you feel regarding makeup. I recently bought some fashion fair makeup b/c I didn't feel like traveleing to the other mall for MAC. Big mistake. I can look at my photos and tell that when I wore MAC, my face looked flawless and when I wore fashion fair, I looked more golden. And that stuff does rub off on everything. Good post.

Anonymous said...

This is a point that people have debated about for years and I doubtit will ever die. Yes, for those who don't need makeup, some can consider it senseless. But just as you said, it is an enhancement, much different from a necessity. I enjoy trying out different looks with different looks with differnt outfits to see what looks hot to me. It's not about anyone else, but how I like to look. Love it or leave me alone...lol

Anonymous said...

i'm nigerian and i've never been able to figure out why some nigerian women paint on black eyeliner over their eyebrows. i always use a soft brown pencil cause it gives it a more natural look. but then before i read beauty magazines i looked bad *shakes head* real bad.

but blondes with dark, clumpy black mascara also annoys me. yuck.

Butterfly Jones said...

@Galatea - eyeshadow can be very tricky, the 'Jordan' look is not cool.
@Serenity - thanks for the love, I got none over at PoodlePinks. Fashion Fair should be discontinued.
@Quest - I second that emotion. Leave me and my make-up be.
@Ngozi - my teen make-up left a lot to be desired too. But at the time I thought I was HOT! I don't think the eyebrow pencil was intended to be used quite so liberally! I had to tell one of my girls about the clumpy mascara recently, sometimes people just don't realise it looks wrong.

Gooders Girl said...

what the hell is that about...plucking your eyebrows out and drawing them back on.....the Asian nail women here do that as well but more often than not they use a pencil that compliments their complexion and the lines are even so their eyes do not look lopsided!

chrome said...

always made me laugh that one. the lights come on and always make you feel somehow stranded.

you dont need makeup (though when I fantasize about ...)