Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Jeans Genie


One of the big trends this season, and last season if you were fashion forward, is skinny jeans as seen on Mossy (Kate Moss to you). These are drainpipe tight jeans with no flare, worn low on the hips, of course, and tight. Basically the antithesis of the type of jean style that would suit me. But I LOVE THEM. Well, how they look. Levi's do a style call the Patty Ann. When I went on a reccy to the store, the sales assistant, or associate depending on how poncy the store is, said they only do them in a size 14. A SIZE 14??? Heffers need not apply, nor buy.
Now we know with fashion there are some styles that do not suit everyone, but I really despise the attitude that prevails in fashion circles that, if you're over a size 14 you shouldn't wear mini-skirts, or you should only wear bootcut jeans. What the hell was lycra invented for?
I saw two women today wearing the jeans, and quite frankly their legs looked like Twiglets. I wondered what they look like naked? I'm sorry, but stick-thin legs, with no meat on they bones, looking like a malnourished child is just not attractive. A woman needs some curves. I'm not hating on my naturally slim sisters, but rather women who maintain a ridiculously low weight because they believe that to be above a size 10 is a fate worse than death. How can you think that your hips, thighs and calves being the same width looks good? The fashion industry must take some of the blame for encouraging this destructive stereotype, but women also need to stop starving themselves to fit a flawed beauty ideal. All of the men I've ever known prefer a woman to have some curvage, something to hold onto. But more importantly, I prefer it. The other week a man called out to me while I was on my bike to tell me he liked my "love handles". Although he was being dyam feisty, I knew it was intended as a compliment, and could only laugh.
As for the skinny jeans, I plan to take in the legs of a pair of a bootcuts, which of course I can get in the shameful size 16. I'll let you know if they look good. Or maybe a man on road will.

1 comment:

Soul Searching said...

I've seen a big change in the past couple years in the selection for larger sizes. Still, the selection that exists for the little chicas is MUCH cuter and MUCH larger! The big chicks might get a department, but the little ones get a whole floor or more. I have to give them a tiny bit of credit for at least trying, but I can't understand why there isn't more. I guess maybe there isn't much of a market for high-end big chick clothing? Do they assume (or maybe there are studies supporting it, i don't know) that big chicks are cheap/poor? I don't know...I just don't know.

(Sorry, I'm a bit of a rambler!) About to hit the treadmill, thanks for the inspiration!!