Friday, September 09, 2005

Lifestyles of the Rich and Not-So-Famous


I have lots of trainer boxes in my room which were moved there when I was whacking up some Ikea flatpack furniture for daughter dearest. I like's a challenge. I knew Clarke had a few pairs of trainers, but this takes the biscuit. She has:

1 pair of Vans
2 pairs of Converse
2 pairs of G-Unit Reeboks
3 pairs of Timberlands, 1 original, two newer styles
and 5 pairs of Nikes, including Dunks, Air 1s, Air Max, Total 90s etc.

Despite all this, she would still like pink and white Nike Huaraches, and a pair of Total 90s (to play football she explains) to replace the ones she has which are too small, and busted up. In my defence at this excess of juvenile footwear, I only bought the Vans (2 years ago), a pair of Nikes I just got in Atlanta and the Total 90s (last year). The rest were bought by Father of Clarke, half of the above when he took her to New York for her birthday (yes me dear) in February.
When I was Clarke's age (cue the music and visual images of Hovis boy wheeling his bike down a country lane) I got one pair of trainers each summer, until I could buy my own. When I was a working teenager, I built up a good collection of trainers, mainly adidas, some bought here, and others in NYC. My mum said she asked me once if I thought I had enough trainers, and my response, aged 18 was "why? is it bothering you?" Or something cheeky like that. Surprised I didn't get the usual cuff in the back for that.
Clarke loves Nike, whereas I'm old school and love MY A-DIDAS. My first pair of adidas were Bermuda. Navy and light blue suede which rubbed off on your socks. I made sure to teach her the essentials of sportswear dress code, in my house anyway, which is, DON'T. MIX. THE BRANDS. No wearing Nike trainers, with adidas clothing. Nay, nay and thrice nay. I won't have it. You're either, or you're either.
Did someone say I'm anal?

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

I totally ADORED my white-pink-purple British Knights... Oh how I wish I could have them back