
As I cycled down Kennington Road, part of the treacherous ride back from Farringdon (effing white vans) a bronzed leaf fell from a tree and bounced off my chest. As if I needed a reminder that autumn was coming, with winter not far behind. The nip in the air is making morning wardrobe choices difficult, and a sweatshirt is needed for running and cycling. There's not a penny in the winter wardrobe war chest, and magazines are full of new season buys. What's a girl to do? Well, my solution is sleep. Sleep has become my autumn/winter must have. Early nights my newest accessory, and afternoon naps on the weekends are my luxury purchase.
In the Weekend Guardian, a trendhunter said that make-up was boring, and that bedrooms were cool. Making your bedroom a place of comfort, to retreat to, with luxury sheets, duvets etc., is the new black/brown or blue depending on what colour they're hyping this season. I guess that pretty much mirrors my life, as I don't bother with make-up much (what's the point when you're on a bike all the time) and me and my bed are the best of friends.
As the old cliche goes, the best things in life are free. One of them is waking up on a Saturday, with the whole day stretching out ahead of you with no supermarket sweep, and very little housework to do. Just newspapers to read, a comforting dinner to cook, and a bed to get back into after a good run.
Sometimes Clarke will get in the bed and we'll have a chat and laugh together, if it's early in the morning we may both fall back asleep, or she'll go and play safely in the garden while I Iuxuriate in the emptyness of my day, and the lack of demands made of me. It won't last forever, but I'll enjoy it while it does.
10 comments:
I agree completely Butterfly, I'm a total bed bug aswell. I often think I've got that SAD disorder, got to admit, a dose of Carribean sun would be a FANTASTIC autumn pick-me-up right now! Oh, I meant to ask you, you got MOBO tickets? I've been trying to use my new contacts through the mag to get some, but no luck as yet :-(
Have you seen this blog? Looks like he's quitting, but it's well worth a read.
I love my bed, too. I have never been so in love with an object in my life, but this bed...damn! And with winter coming...even better! Now if I can just motivate myself to actually paint the bedroom (paint's been sitting in the garage for 3 months now, and the new linens are all neatly folded and waiting for me in the guest bedroom! sad!!) it could truly become my oasis this winter.
Great post!
SJ - no MOBO tickets. To be honest, I'd rather watch it from my bed! And what's the blog link?
SS - I have some painting to do in my room too! I'll race you?
Don't know why that didn't show, it's the bruthacode@blogspot.com
a bronzed leaf fell from a tree and bounced off my chest
Ok.. my mind is in the gutter here.. but I need to ask: was this because your chest was so big and provided the 'bounce' needed to repel falling objects? :-)
SJ - I was reading his blog, but yes, seems like he's retired.
anon emous - Get thee to a nunnery!
indeedy autum is upon us. didn't know you were a rider? I've been bopping on my bike for the best part of a year (still train it to work though - white van drivers and all). joined lewisham cycling club but have never been on any of their rides.
MOBO. flawed.
Love the picture...I forgot about viewfinders. I used to love those. LOL!
Me too! That just tickled me when I saw it in the picture. I bet they would cost bucks now - why didn't we keep our stuff!
Post a Comment