This is why as an attractive, educated, ambitious, party-loving black woman. You can't win. If you look good, people say you're intimidating. If you look mash-up, people say whappen to you! If you go out a lot, people label you 'circuit girl'. You know, I've achieved a fair bit in my short life, and I don't like to bang on about my achievements (did I mention I have two degrees, both earned after having a child), but maybe I need to, because some people are starting to tek this ting for some joke business (excessive use of patois due to a week spent with the Robb sisters).
Yesterday as I turned up to work at The Big-Time Newspaper, I saw one of the chefs from the staff restaurant. Hear him to me: "Alright babes." BABES?!? Like me and him was friend from long-time.
Babes?!? Like we did roll out of my bed together that morning after some hot-loving and toe-sucking.
Babes?!? Like we did deh innna something and he was trying to hold it down at work but couldn't help himself. Ok you get the picture.
That's why you just can't win. If I went to work at The Big-Time Newspaper, and blanked all the brothers, they would think I was a bougie black broad (which I am of course, but I'm not stuck-up). But because I say hello, answer their stupid questions (where are you from? You don't look Jamaican) this leaves me open to a strange man calling me 'babes' in my place of work.
It's not like he was even standing next to me, he was a good six-to eight foot away from me. He grinned his yellow tombstone teeth like a Cheshire cat and called me 'babes' like me and him really 'knew' each other. Me nuh know 'im! I wanted to slap that man. Hard.
Just because our skin be the same colour, don't get it twisted. Trust me, when I go in there today. That man will be saying hello to thin air. I am going to blank him so hard, he's gonna feel like his woman left him. And I'm sure he has got a woman, because the ones that talk to you the hardest usually have.
You just can't win. You work hard, get an education, get a career, get published in national newpaper's, raise a child, and man's that don't know you wanna call you 'circuit girl' or 'babes'. Where's the fucking respect?
Thursday, October 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Respect ain't something you get babes (term of endearment!) ain't even something you necessarily earn.
you haffi tek it more time.
Tell 'im striaght -- My name is Ms.Jones. You may call me Butterfly.
Brag and show off mi dear -- I do!
Next time he calls you "babes" say "Hey, how is ya and ya sweet asscakes?"
Maybe he was just one of these people that calls everyone babes, you know, like one of those twats. Either way, two degrees after having a child and being published in a national newspaper will always be impressive, no matter what some eediot calls you.
Yes Gooders fe dem - I will be sure to big up myself more, I think you have more of a US attitude now that you're over there. No shame in showing off your achievements whereas I still have that British reserve which says you should play it down.
Zesty - 'asscakes' LMAO
Kieran - The thing is my looks generally intimidate them too without the two degrees on top of it! One man said to me he thought I looked 'stuck-up'....some men are just born eediot innit!
Post a Comment