Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Late Night Blues


My brain has been dead since the weekend. Why? Because I went to a 'blues' dance and didn't make it home until 8am. (Don't look at me like that!) What can I say, I was enjoying myself. Despite the fact that I wore the Gwen Stefani toe-cleavage, cone-heeled shoes which started hurting after just an hour. I couldn't resist them, they look sooo good. But when you're not the driver, all you can do it grin and bear it. And drink to numb the pain. Not too much mind, just enough to take the edge off the burning sensation in the sole of your foot.

The rave was in Canning Town, east London, otherwise known as 'foreign'. All the usual DJ suspects were there, Mistri (how old are you now?), Desi G, Barry White, and TLC playing soul music from back in the day, and some newer stuff. The ground floor was the hyper room, playing hip-hop and reggae. Elephant Man's tune 'Willie Bounce' fired up the danceflo'. And everyone was bussin' the dance that goes with it. Except me that is. For a minute I felt like a white person in Jamaica observing the locals. But then I realised it was the same dance me and Suzie Wong had been trying to copy from Sean Paul's newest video, so started doing it like it was simple tings. When in Rome. Everyone was laughing and having a go, it's so wicked when a new reggae dance drops, and everyone is bussin' it, people are tipsy, and there's pure vibes in the dance. Fuck all y'all who don't rave, you don't know what you're missing. Well you do now.

Upstairs was the rare groove room. Usually if someone says come to a rare groove dance, I start flicking through my TV Guide and ready my spot on the couch. Some of the tunes they play just get on my bloody nerves. They play the same ones over and over again, like Barbara Streisand and Barry Gibb's Guilty which always gets a rewind. Enough already. But on Saturday they played TUNE. Tunes which, if you don't go to raves like these, you will not hear anywhere else.

People sing along to the popular tunes. For those three minutes, it's like we almost believe we can sing the tune as good as Mary or Faith. Even the guys. If you're nursing a broken heart, you sing it with feeling, hug your friend, and smile that knowing smile. There's a tune for every form of heartbreak, "I Can Love You Better Than She Can", "You Said He Was Your Boyfriend, But He Wasn't Last Night", "You Don't Have To Cry No More", "You're The One", "Cos We Have Nothing To Be Guilty Of" - and on the list goes.

Going to a 'blues' dance is a part of a black teenagers' rite of passage. And judging from the handful of white girls up in the place, it's fast becoming theirs too. What a contribution we've made to society, who knew white people would be able to reverse the lack of rhythm they were blighted by for centuries. Morris dancing doesn't count (thanks S).

I went to my first blues dance with Suzie Wong 13 years ago. I'd come from the hip-hop scene, and going to a blues dance was like 'foreign' to me. Back then, any social celebration, wedding, christening, funeral, was followed by a blues dance. You had to dress up. Trash and ready. You know, proper clothes, dress, skirt, shoes. Men in suits. The girl's still dress up, as for the men.....

Despite the fact that they're not held in the best of venues, with people usually crammed in cheek to jowl which results in beef (between the girls), and it always too hot, hence the constant fanning with a flyer, they're a little piece of black history. A tradition passed from mother to daughter, father to son. I rave the way my mum used to. You don't leave your house until 2am, you drink brandy and champagne, and don't come home til' mornin'.

I used to watch my mum getting dressed up to go to Q Club, and Embassy. Putting on her frock, shoes and Mary Quant black cherry lipstick. When she came in she would put on the rice and peas and go to sleep for a bit. No matter what, the chicken, rice and peas was on the table. And now I do the same. Except for the rice and peas bit, what can I say I'm English! On Sunday after six hours sleep, I was up at 2pm, washed the school uniform, cleaned the house, put on the dinner, did Clarke's hair, and supervised the homework. *Karen White plays Superwoman in the background*

At the dance I heard a record that I really love , I have no idea who it's by. It's called "All For Your Love". "If I had a million dollars, I would give it all to you, I would cross a million mountains for your love baby it's true, honey... I do it all, baby, all for your love, all for l-ove.." Big. Tune. For me, hearing that record was worth the long-ass drive, five hours of foot pressure, minor girl beef (bigger-assed bitch trying to bounce me out my space), and getting a blob of chewing gum stuck on the backside of my favourite TopShop, exposed back, black wrap dress. Yes, the tune's that good.

4 comments:

Chubby Chocolate said...

Oh NO!! Not the Q Club!!!! My parents used to go there!

When I do the Willie Bounce here people look at me like I'm crazy..They are really slow here.


I truly enjoyed that post.

galatea said...

i have this problem with going to good dance clubs where they play music I really really love. I get very intense....

You know some people get 'road rage'? I get dance rage. If someone so much as brushes me with an arm (or god forbid, a lighted cigarette) I practically turn green and rip out of my clothes.

This propensity is severely hampering my enjoyment.

Gooders Girl said...

Hail Up Donna , your blog's wicked!

I have been reading it for a couple of months and have passed in on to some friends. Hope you don't mind. You have inspired me to create my own, will let you know when I am up and running.

Blues Dance brought back so many memories...memba 'shubines' I memba when Mistri would play for all 20 hours... Desi G and Barry White broke up. Which one a dem went jail? Were Mistri dances really coke head dances?

I used to go the club go home sleep bade change off and then go back to the dance in the afternoon. My mum thought I was going to visit friends! Memba the black bags on windows that used to peel off from the heat? and the card board they wrapped round the light bulb?


I was a 5th Avenue girl memba Hollywood and Sweet vibes? but the Criminal justice Act 1994 changed all that (illegal to take money on the door of a domestic propety they started consficating the sound man dems records and equipment forced them into clubs). Shame

Dancing was crubbin. In South there was a dance called 36b cos in dem days that was the bus that took you round the whole a London town and thats were de wine you were flinging down on that guy went

I had more orgasms that way then I care to remember....dry sex. Safer than the alternative...oops may be a bit raunchy for the list sorry If I offended anyone I am back in the moment and the newsroom thinks I am working really hard on a stroy . I am tryin to knock this email out so I can do my real work!!!

Ok, then there was Jungle. I was an original junglis. Sunday Roast, Paradise Club A.W.O.L SL and Brockie! Jumpin Jack Flash and Gr gr gr grooove rider. I met his mum one day in Kingston Jamiaca we were on the same bus and she asked me if I knew her son. Imagine my suprise. "im dj name is groove rider"! LOL I paid 30 quid to hear your son play!

You are soooo right Morris dancing does not count! The wittiest thing I have read all year. Classic.....AND I can't believe you can't cook rice n peas!!!!

Must get back to work now.

Favorite song. Miss Scabinia....lovers rock..."try and sing my song. I love you girl all night long Miss Scabinia tell it tell it to me Miss Scabina.

Lovers rock Jungle Speed grasge and Grime......our musical legacy.

None a dat 'ere mate

My dad used to run boat trips up the Thames and I used to watch my mum dress up and put on her minx.......liver and kidney callaloo (mum still grows it in the garden) hardo bread dipped in condense milk for breakfast and yeah rice n peas and chicken for dinner with some roti and dahl if was really thorowin down.

I am home sick

likkle more

Nadine.

Butterfly Jones said...

Chubby - too many coincidences. Willi Bounce is gonna be the sh*t come Xmas.

Galatea - sometimes being crammed in will do that to you. Or being on your period.

Nadine - Holla! I was gonna mention the shubine, but thought I'd written too much already. Sunday Roast? Memories. Junglist Massive. Deleted the bit about crubbin' aka dry sex LOL! And for the records I CAN cook rice and peas - but prefer roast potatoes, unless my mum's r 'n' p is on offer!

viqi - nice to meet ya. I have too many shoes that cause the dreaded foot pressure, but vanity always propels me towards a three inch heel on a Saturday night. I'm only 5ft 6"!