Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cry Me A River


My Aunt Sophie died on the weekend. She's my mum's youngest sister, and only five years older than me. It's the first funeral in my immediate family, and the most unexpected. We were closer when I was younger as we spent a lot of time at my gran's, but she was someone that was always around, until I grew up and started making my own life away from my mum, and then as happens, you see less of each other.

Sophie, as is my cousin Tyrone, was born with a genetic disorder Fragile X, "Fragile X syndrome is the most common inherited cause of mental impairment. It's second only to Down Syndrome as a cause of mental retardation." My mum isn't a carrier, and neither am I. But there but for the grace of God go I. As one in every 250 women is. She had learning difficulties, and always seemed younger than her years. We always knew she was different (but not sure why until much older) and even though she was older than us, we used to boss her around, tease her and bully her. Basically we treated her like one of us. There were no kid gloves in our house.

So my mum's gone into Big Sis preparation mode sorting out the funeral of her youngest sister, helped by one of her other sisters. Whenever we go to a funeral with my mum, she says, in a series of asides, which hymns she wants, and what songs we should sing by the graveside. She doesn't want the horse and carriage, but would like the American style casket. My Dad says don't bother with the casket just put him in a cardboard box and cremate him. That man never wants to spend any money on himself. Mum drags us to the funerals of her friends so we'll know 'how to do things properly'. It's like Funerals: The Cliff Notes Version.

The big news is, the Matriarch of La Famiglia, my Grandmother, Clarke's Great Grandmother is flying in from Florida for the funeral. I haven't seen her for 20 odd years, and she's not met Clarke. She is the most cantankerous Jamaican woman you could ever wish to meet, and I am quite afraid of her. I think my mum is too. Like my mother, you can never be sure what mood she's going to greet you with. Trust me it's a Butterfly Jones novel waiting to exhale.

It will be the long overdue family reunion we all hoped for, but under circumstances we didn't wish for. Hence I'm struggling with mixed emotions. Tears of sadness for Sophie, and tears of joy at seeing my Grandma again.

13 comments:

Knockout Zed said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Deeply sorry. Does Fragile X also cause physical problems too? She was really young.

You daughter finally meeting her Great Grandmother is an exceptional consequence from this otherwise heartbreaking situation.

In my prayers,
KZ

Butterfly Jones said...

Thanks Zed. It does cause physical problems too. I just wish I had made it to Florida first instead of them meeting for the first time under these circumstances.

Hyps said...

Sorry for your loss.

Your mum sounds like my grandma - except she wants the "no expense spared" funeral, the horse & carriage, criss casket, the works (she lucky eee?!?). I'm all for discussing it as is my mum (the oldest) and her other sister (the youngest) but my middle aunt is hearing none of it.

Hope the day goes with no hitches and that you are your family think about the good memories.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Both my mom and father have passed within the past few years. In a weird way its like a Dickens Novel. "It was the best of times it was the worst of times". I say that because of the whole surroundings in an american black funeral. The best of times is because family and friends that you haven't seen in years come to visit and treat you so nice. Family really pulls together and inevitably there is something crazy that will happen.
Its the worst of times because someone you love so dearly will no longer be around.
I hope you don't think I'm too crazy for saying something like that but it helped me to get through the tough times of losing someone.
I hope to catch up with you someday soon on myspace.

Chubby Chocolate said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Sudden loss is hard to get over, but eventually things go back to normal before we realize it.

I can't imagine what it will be like for your daughter to meet her great grandmother for the first time. And you! Seeing her after 20 years.

Good luck.

Gallis said...

Really sorry to hear about your Aunt Butterfly. I hope your Grandma reunion goes well!

chrome said...

my deepest condolences.

must be great for your daughter to meet her great gran. I barely knew my grandparents.

take care butterfly

Lois said...

Hi Butterfly: I thought I come on over here and say hi. I'm so sorry bout your Aunt. I loved how you wrote about her and your family--good flow, Ms. Jones. I'm with your Dad, btw. Nothing fancy for me neither.

Butterfly Jones said...

Thanks for all your kind words. The day went fine, we managed to keep Great-Grandma under control, and Clarke thought she was great. Blog to come.

Nneka's World said...

Sorry hear about your loss.

Hope your family is alright.

Hope you are fine, have not really "seen" you round the blogosphere.

Anyway take care

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read about your loss. Stay strong and God Bless

Anonymous said...

My best wishes are with you...Be strong and remain blessed

Lyrically speaking said...

Sorry to hear about your loss I was just passing by