Saturday, June 17, 2006

Blogger Be Thy Name


I and I has been busy spreading the gospel of blogging (that’s not blasphemous is it?). I was invited to speak on a panel about Black Creativity in digital media by B3 Media at the ICA. And there’s you lot thinking all I do is buy clothes and shoes, and talk about ravin’...tsk, tsk. (It was just the one pair of shoes last week).

I've not done much public speaking of late, but took the gig, as it’s something I need to work on. I managed to firm it in front of the small audience that showed up despite it being the weekend that both the World Cup started and high summer came to London.

After the event, I was approached by a college lecturer who asked me to speak to his students about blogging at the College of North East London. So on Thursday I went up there. I thought back to the time I re-started my education at a similar college in north London. And when I got there, I bumped into Nicky, a woman who was on the course with me all those years ago. I've literally come full-circle.

The group knew nothing about blogging but were enthusiastic and asked lots of questions. I really enjoyed the class, and sharing the knowledge I’ve gained from almost a year of blogging, and my knowledge of media law when it comes to defamation and libel. The nerves didn't make an appearance at all.

Afterwards the Lecturer took me for a drink, which turned into dinner as I was hungry due to the fact that I can’t speak on a full stomach so hadn’t eaten for hours. We tried and failed to watch the big match - England v Trinidad and Tobago, as the one pub in the no bredrin’s land that is Tottenhale Hale lacked a TV. We were having such a laugh though, it didn't seem to matter. And lawd the food was good. By all accounts it was the usual disappointing England performance. You know, the one that’s been seen at every World Cup since 1966.

The way England play football is painful, and always has been. I can barely bring myself to watch any more of their games. It’s not that I don’t support them, I do, but not the blind support that’s been going on which does not take into account the team's failings. I guess I’m more of a realist than your average white van man. With their bloody chav England flags everywhere. I’ve even seen a man with a St George’s flag arm cast, and a people carrier with four flags? Why the hell do you need four? Beckham cyaan see dem!

World Cup fever has overtaken my house. As perfectly demonstrated by the broken window in my kitchen courtesy of Clarke ‘Bruk it like Beckham’ . To say I was VEX is an understatement. Both she and the other kids hanging around my kitchen door listening to her getting told off, got the Alex Ferguson hairdryer treatment. I swear my meighbours are on the verge of calling social services as every other day I am blaring that child out for some misdemeanour. She's lazy, hard of hearing and draining. If she doesn’t get a degree I’m going to make her pay back all the money I’ve spent on her. With interest.

I think I need a holiday.

1 comment:

Chubby Chocolate said...

I think I hear the spa resort calling your name.Congrats on the speaking engagements...Spread the bloglove.

I'm mad about World cup. I set my alarm clock early so I can catch the live game before work. I'm rooting for any team that has more than three Blacks..GO GHANA!!!! (they'll most likely get stomped by mighty Brazil)!!!