For a country where people say sorry as often as they say please or thank you. It took an extraordinarily long time for Duwayne Brooks to get an apology from the Metropolitan Police. Even though the MacPherson inquiry established seven years ago that the police had failed to properly carry out their duties in investigating the crime. The police treated Brooks like a criminal on the night his friend Stephen Lawrence was murdered after they both had to run for their lives to escape a racist gang. The gang were never convicted for the murder because the police didn't investigate the murder properly, because the victims were black. Also Brooks could not give a reliable witness statement. Stephen, who wasn't quick enough in escaping was stabbed to death in the street, just because he was a black yout' in a white boy's manor (area).
The murder of Stephen Lawrence happened when I was in my early twenties, and it was the first issue that I ever joined a rally or march for. I was hurt and angry at his death. My brother was a toddler then, but it was all too easy to imagine him in Stephen's place. Things may have changed somewhat, but Anthony Walker's death still happened last year. An axe in the head for the god-fearing teenager who was walking his white girlfriend to the bus stop. But, the lessons of the Lawrence case learnt, a proper investigation, a conviction likely, and widespread media coverage. Hopefully small comfort to Walker's family.
These cases may be exceptional, but for me there is still a fear about going to certain areas which are heavily populated with the wrong sort of white people. Eltham, Woolwich, Bermondsey, and Essex spring to mind. Black areas have always been feared by some white folk, until they realised 'there's gold in them thar hills' and started buying up all the property in the grittier areas of London like it was going out of fashion. And now it has. And yes there are some black areas I ain't looking to hang about in either. But trust me Eltham, the area where the murder happened will never have the pleasure of my company.
Travelling outside of London alone is another thing I am wary about. Especially on my own with my child. I'd rather go to Jamaica on my own, than pitch up at some northern towns. No offence, but when I was touring with my group, we went to a lot of those towns, and there was a whole lot of staring going on. As a mother, I just don't want to take the risk.
When I was in Atlanta, some good old boys shouted nigga as they drove by at myself and a guy I was with. I was in a southern state of America for the very first time. An army surplus store I was shopping at was flying the redneck Confederate flag so when I was on my own in an all white suburb, I was gripped by a fear I had never experienced before. An extreme fear of white people. I did not feel safe among them and I desperately needed to see some black people. If those men had not racially abused me, I wouldn't have been so scared. Where there is abuse, the violence usually follows.
So back to Duwayne, he's come through it all. Stephen's dead, but his life was changed forever. He's been harassed by the police, and feels blamed for Stephen's death by the Lawrences. But in an interview with The Guardian he has remained a positive man. He fought the good fight, and thirteen years later, got his sorry, and £100,000. At least, he lived to tell the tale.
THE APOLOGY
Dear Mr Brooks
On behalf of the Commissioner I would like to apologise for the manner in which you were dealt with by police, following the murder of your friend, Stephen Lawrence, and the attack on you. You were let down. The Macpherson Inquiry identified police shortcomings and I wish to reassure you that important lessons about the proper treatment of victims and witnesses have been learnt.
It is also a personal regret of the Commissioner and I that those who attacked Stephen and you have not yet been successfully prosecuted.
Yours sincerely
Assistant Commissioner Godwin
READ THE ARTICLE HERE
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,1732542,00.html
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
just stopping by to say hello to LONDON PEEPS!!
I miss the UK...
I always have a great time when I go :)
They can kiss out with that apology. After the way they treated him that's the best they could do?
I totally hear ya about certain areas - my dad lives in Abbey Wood and I'm OVER that area - always have been.
In my line of work I come across racism ALOT (not necessarily directed at me) and believe me, it's harsh as hell out there.
For summer I had a choice of somewhere "up north" or Madrid. guess where I chose!
Good Post!
After I read in The Times this morning about the woman sueing for £1m because of discrimination including having to put up with a chair that made her sound like she was farting every time she sat in it.
The apology and the money is too little too late.
Now that's some shit that slaps you back into reality.
I heard about the guy who was axed in the head last year this online british radio station. Just crazy.
Pure bullshit! Fuck an apology.
KZ
Thanks for stopping by 'diva.
HS - That's deep, cos the Spanish can be a bit iffy too.
CC - Anthony Walker was just a kid, 18yrs old.
may as well treat us like denmark vesy - cut our heads off and place them on spikes on the side of the road
i never heard of this but thanks for informing us -- funny how people think no racism happens in the UK
Post a Comment