Wednesday, August 01, 2007

White people scare me


I love the countryside. I think it's the fond memories I have of school trips to Beaconsfield, a big rambling house in the country, where we would stay for the weekend, enjoying long rambling muddy walks and awful dinners. We would sleep in dorms and spend most the night trying to sneak into the boys dorm. Ok that was me, and I would usually end up sharing a room with the female teacher after getting catch.

My friends think I am a bit of a white girl because I like going to the pub with my work and uni friends, and will stay all night rather than the two hour 'show ya face' period that they usually do. I usually end up with the world's worst hangover as I try and fail to keep up with the drinking and end up drinking all types of foolishness (apart from Sambuca which not even my drunk self will sup).

Last week we had a quiz night, with a free bar tab. Five hours of free drinks later I managed to get home via nightbus. The next day I had to take a cab to work as I was still so pissed I couldn't face the tube. I had my head in my hands, as I sat in front of my monitor trying to string a sentence together that I could not form. The Nurofen I ingested to take away the spinning head and dicky stomach decided it didn't want to play nicely with the alcohol still lining my gut, and I had to make a dash to the bog (toilet). Felt somewhat better after that.

Drinking and journalism go hand in hand - definitely hard to be teetotal in this game. And helps if you like one.

But as much as I love London, sometimes you need to get the fuck out of dodge. My daughter's on school holidays, and unless I'm home she has no business being on the streets of south London. A 16-year was shot and killed about ten minutes walks from my house. Things are not getting any better.

My deskmate 'EG'has kindly invited me to Norfolk for a few days to stay at her parents cottage. Now as 'white' as my friends say I am, I am only trying to go outside London with either white folk, or a group of black folk, cos I'm sorry, but white people in large numbers scare me. Its kinda the opposite of white people - who tend to be scared by small groups of black people, or just one. I feel more safe going abroad than going outside London, unless its Manchester - which is cool.

We're going to a nice village, where we'll spend some time by the seaside, visit some country pubs and go for long walks. Or if it rains, we'll just stay in and drink!
One of the things I like about going to the seaside is eating freshly cooked fish 'n' chips. Don't forget the mushy peas.

What can I say, I'm a UK Black!

5 comments:

Nigerian Woman in Norway said...

LOL: i live in Norway. Nuff said :-)

Gallis said...

Oh man, nothing like UK fish and chips. NOTHING. I miss it.

chrome said...

lol!! that is the funniest thing i've read in a london minute

Gallis said...

Where are you? Hope all is ok.

Butterfly Jones said...

Hey zesty- thanks for asking but all good. Just busy at work and been too lazy to blog!